What Does it Mean to be on the FIRST Dean's List?



The FIRST Tech Challenge season is in full swing, and we know teams are working hard preparing for competition. We�d like to also remind you that in most states, the Dean�s List nominations are still open! If you have an exceptional 10th or 11th grade student, consider nominating them today. The impact of a student being recognized by their peers is life changing. We�d like to share some awesome stories from some of our Dean�s List Semi-finalists and Finalists over the years, and what the Dean�s List meant to them!

Daniel Shorr � 2015-2016 Dean�s List Semi-Finalist

�I was a Semi-finalist two years ago in the midst of my FIRST Tech Challenge career (Team 417, Woodinville WA). In short, a Dean�s List nomination gave me both the confidence and recognition to relentlessly pursue robotics and my academics. As a freshman studying mechanical engineering here at Stanford, I think it has certainly paid off. I carry the lessons and experience I�ve been fortunate enough to come across in FIRST everywhere I go.�

Jackie Hall � 2016-2017 Dean�s List Finalist

�My name is Jackie Hall and I was a Dean's list finalist last year. Since then I started an internship at Northrop Grumman and spent my summer as an international ambassador in China through a grant from a tech company there. I have been doing FIRSTfor eight years now and I can�t imagine what my life would be like if I wasn�t constantly building things. Being nominated for Dean�s list really validated my experiences teaching my team members how to build successful mechanisms.�

Tyler Thieding � 2015-2016 Dean�s List Finalist

�Being a 2015-2016 Ohio Dean�s List Finalist was a very humbling experience. It is great to know that my extra efforts and late nights were valued by both my teammates and my local community. Being able to meet and network with other Dean�s List semifinalists, finalists, and winners also helped form a lot of new friendships that I still value today.
FIRST and the Dean�s List program also helped me earn an internship at Rockwell Automation, where I am currently in my second year of employment and am continuing to volunteer and support FIRST. On top of that, the Dean�s List program also made me stand out in the college application process, helping me earn an additional $10,000 per year scholarship at Case Western Reserve University.�

Dryw Wade � 2015-2016 Dean�s List Finalist

�For me, being a Dean's List Finalist has helped to open doors that were previously only cracked. After my senior year of high school, I landed an internship with FIRST Tech Challenge as their Engineering Intern, which was a great experience to have. I was also accepted into the Colorado School of Mines, which is arguably one of the best engineering schools in the US. Being a Dean's List Finalist is one of the highest things on my resume, and I have no doubt that it helped me do the things that I've wanted to do. I'm confident that it will open even more doors for me in the future, as well as for any other student who is nominated.�

Check out our website for additional details as well as instructions on how to nominate a student!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AndyMark Will Now be the Source for New FTC Fields and Game Elements